Saturday, March 21, 2020

Isolation, nothing new for Greg


This is Maureen writing today, Greg wouldn’t probably share this, but I will. I share this here, because he often keeps so much in, but I think it needs to be shared.

Last night Greg asked me how I was dealing with the “whole thing”. I replied “okay”. It is the conclusion of my spring break and last week I needed (and got) sleep and rest! Greg replied that nothing has changed for him, except that I am now home all the time and that is an adjustment for him.

This got me thinking, and thinking.

Nothing has changed for him. The last 9 months, since we’ve lived on our own again (but really 2 years since losing the ability to drive and drink alcohol), Greg has been isolated. To paint the picture of the last 9 months: He works remotely, does everyone see the challenge with that now? It’s not sunshine and rainbows as one might initially think. He cannot drive. So, on “lunch hour” he can’t go grab lunch and get a little social/people time. He can’t quick run an errand to pick up an ingredient for dinner, or even go get an ice cream or a beer after a long day. He can’t drive himself to the gym for a morning, lunch, or after work workout.

This may sound like an extra, and I know some people do not have the luxury to go on vacations. We saved and saved and paid off our school debt before we were even considering taking a vacation. The month after we paid off our debt, he was diagnosed with cancer, then the epilepsy… So, in the last few years, we have had to cancel multiple vacations. We had a trip to Europe planned, we had to cancel it. Then we decided to go all out and take our dream trip to Hawaii, we had to cancel it due to his seizures occurring more frequently. Finally, last June we were able to go to Florida with his family. It’s hard when you CAN’T go on a vacation, when you’ve saved and planned and it’s not even a choice.

To add to his already isolating situation, I have been working as a substitute since September. There are times when yes, I work the bare minimum time clock in, clock out, and take an occasional day or half day off. However, since January I have been in a full-time substitute position, going early, staying late, and not getting days off- which has furthered Greg’s isolation.
Nothing has changed for Greg.

The world is now starting to experience what he lives with.

NOW to the isolation, add Lung Cancer (continues to be stable praise God), Seizures, and high levels of medication to hopefully keep the seizures from happening. Try having hours of phone conversations on speaker phone- yes try it, and tell me if you don’t get a migraine.
Enter severe, chronic migraines to the picture.

When these really started ramping up, in December, Greg was unable to make it through a church service (for us, Catholic Mass), which is only an hour long. For four months, he hasn’t been able to join his faith community in worship. It is hard to worship at home, by yourself, but he has, for four months.  

I know, I haven’t really gotten the full picture of isolation until now. I have lived with its effects yes, and he is a trooper. He clings and hangs in there longer than many would. So many of these things led to his hospitalization a few weeks ago. He is doing so much better so far. We continue to pray.
The ironic thing in ALL of this. Now he’s ready for socialization. Now he’s ready to volunteer, to meet other people in his situation or other challenging situations and the world is having to isolate.
I don’t share this to complain. I don’t share this to say, just stay home and do as you’re told (oh wait, yes I do, so this can all be over faster). Really. Honestly, I share this, so that you can think of all of those that live in isolation- chosen or otherwise. The elderly, those struggling with mental illness, those with illness such that their immune system doesn’t allow them to go out, those with so many medical issues, like Greg, who are young and want somewhat of a “normal” life.

I wanted to let you in.

Be smart, stay home, stay safe and find the good right now, for you this will end but for some it won’t.



1 comment:

  1. Getting your lover or your ex back has been made more easy by this powerful spell caster called Dr Odion. I am Rose by name and i am from canada, the only reason why i am on this site is to thank this powerful spell caster called DR. Odion and you can improve your relationship success by contacting him through these details (wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com Or call +2348136482342) This powerful spell caster did me a huge favor by helping me get my lover back to me within the speed of light and since then my relationship has been perfect.

    any problem of yours.He is specialized in the following:

    (1)Spell for protection from danger
    (2)Spell for magic
    (3)Spell for same sex love
    (4)Spell for healing
    (5)Spell for invisibility
    (6)Spell for riches and fame
    (7)Spell to get a good job
    (8)Spell for strong love and relationship
    (9)Spell to bring your ex back
    (10)speII for Lottery
    This man has great powers and is incredibly generous.You can contact him on
    (wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete